Friday, February 5, 2010

Psalm 3: I Lie Down and Sleep


What a joy it is to know that no matter what is happening in our world, we can have the comfort and ease of lying down and sleeping peacefully because we know that God is watching over us. That is what this image is about. Sometimes we feel our enemies are too great to count their number, and everywhere we look we see trouble. It is very easy to get discouraged as a human. I was thinking about Elijah and his despair as he was running away from Jezebel (1 Kings 19), Elijah complained to God that he was the only one left who followed Him. God told him that there were still 7000 faithful in Israel who had not bowed their knees to Baal. He had lost heart and had to be reminded that God was still in control. In Psalm 3, David does not fall into that trap.

I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I will not fear the tens of thousands
drawn up against me on every side. (ESV)

No comments: