Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Good Shepherd--Feb 11 class

I focused on John 10:1-6, where Jesus tell us: ". . . But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers." (Jn 10:2-5, ESV)

We have often been compared with sheep, which is not all that complimentary since sheep aren't too bright. But it struck me in reading the passage this time, that sheep are smarter than us in this sense: they will follow the voice of their master and flee from others. Too often in this world I hear all the other "voices," getting distracted from my purpose in life, and forget to listen for the voice of the Good Shepherd.

Like a sheep I'm lost and wandering,
In a world of noise and strife.
Piercing through the mass confusion
Comes the Shepherd's words of life:
"Hear my voice and follow, follow,
In my fold you will be free.
Hear my voice and follow, follow,
Hear my voice and come to me."

No comments: